This page has some of the most common questions we receive every year, as well as some good questions we’ve received through the form that was sent out last week.
As always, feel free to contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need anything else.
- Parade route map
- Staging area map
- Road closures, parking, and towing zones (City of Iowa City)
- 2022 UI Homecoming Parade Entry Meeting slide deck
- Frequently Asked Questions Printable PDF
When is the parade?
Friday, October 28, 2022, at 5:45 p.m.
How many entries are in this year’s parade?
We have 120 entries this year!
What items are prohibited from the parade?
Absolutely no alcoholic beverages or illegal substances, either in your entry or in the form of banners/advertisements/promotions.
How many people can walk in my group?
Class 1 entries can have up to 60 walkers (excluding people on the float) in their group. Class 2 entries can have up to 60 walkers. Class 3 and 4 entries, because of the motorized vehicles, don’t have as much room for as many walkers, so an exact number cannot be given. However, the size of your entry should not exceed 60 feet.
Parade day timeline
Friday, October 28, 2022
- Noon - Rolling road closures begin
- 3:00 p.m. - Check-in zones in the staging area open
- 1 Representative
- Class 1 - 3:30 p.m.
- Class 3 and 4 - 4:00 p.m.
- Class 2 - 4:30 p.m.
- All vehicles and floats by 4:30 p.m.
- Must have a fire extinguisher by this time!
- Full entry
- Class 1 - 4:45 p.m.
- Class 3 and 4 - 5:00 p.m.
- Class 2 - 5:15 p.m.
- 1 Representative
- 4:30 p.m. - Fire extinguisher check (2A10B:5 lb)
- 5:15 p.m. - Staging area closed to arrivals
- 5:45 p.m. - Parade begins
When and where do I check my entry in?
Time and location depend on your entry number and class. Please see your individual entry ticket for details.
What items are drivers required to present at check in?
Drivers must present their legal and valid license, and must have the entry number displayed. Additional if a Class 1 parade float: The required fire extinguisher (minimum 2A10B:5 lb),
May we return to the staging area after completing the route?
No. The staging area streets will reopen as soon as the last entry begins.
After you finish
What do I do when I finish the route?
Continue forward. Do NOT stop. You will be directed on exactly where to go by official parade personnel.