Homecoming at Iowa recognizes the connection between Hawkeye Spirit and Academic Success at the University of Iowa. We will select two applicants to each receive a $500 Scholarship to be presented before the Homecoming Concert!
Selection, Rules, and Procedures
- In order to be eligible for the 2014 Homecoming Scholarship, a person must be enrolled as a full time student at the University of Iowa (currently enrolled in a minimum of 12 semester hours).
- The applicant must have sophomore or junior status (30 – 89 Semester Hours)
- Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.00.
- Applications must be turned into the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership, 145 IMU, by 4PM ON WEDNESDAY, SEPTEMBER 24TH. You must turn in 5 copies of your application and 5 copies of each recommendation form together. Each copy of your application and recommendations should be stapled and three-hole punched. Late applications and applications turned in without recommendation forms will not be considered.
- Applicants will be selected for an interview by a panel of judges and will be notified by Friday, September 26, 2014, regarding an interview. Interviews will be held during the week of September 29 – October 3, 2014, time and location TBA.
- A panel of preliminary judges will review each application. The panel will consist of representatives of the University staff, students, and community members. To ensure impartiality, the names of the judges will not be released until the interview.
- Each preliminary judge will score the applications based on the following criteria:
- Involvement in University activities and organizations.
- Academic pursuits, interests, and achievements.
- Demonstration of leadership skills and abilities.
- Service to the community.
- Thoughtfulness and skill shown in response to questions.
- Enthusiasm and sincerity.
- Scores given by all preliminary judges will be compiled and broken down as such:
- Written Essay = 50 points;
- Resume = 30 points;
- Recommendation forms = 20 points.
- The interview will consist of standard questions, which will be posed to all candidates. The questions will pertain to the criteria given to the preliminary judging. In addition, judges will be allowed to ask questions based on the candidate’s responses and/or their applications.
- If you have any questions please contact Kirbee Van De Berg, Honors Director at email@example.com or call the Center for Student Involvement & Leadership at 319-335-3059.